The third Indian Poker Sports League (PSL) is underway and, this season, the organizers are hoping to create a bigger and better event all-round.
Following an opening announcement in October, the PSL team have promised a total prizepool of 4 crore/$556,500.
As well as more money, the event will be open to more people. In total, 10 teams from across India will feature 12 players (one more than last season), one of which must be a female.
Poker Sports League Bigger than Ever
To accommodate the increased number of players, the third Poker Sports League will take place at larger venues in India.
Commenting on the innovations, founder Amit Burman said the changes are a sign of poker’s growing popularity in India.
“Poker as a sport is gaining mass acceptance and its growing popularity is evident with the Poker Sports League growing season by season,” Burman said in a November 15 press release.
The concept of India’s Poker Sports League is similar to Global Poker League. Each team features a combination of professionals and novices that have either been selected or qualified via a satellite.
Alongside the pros and amateurs, the 10 regional teams regions have a franchise owner. As well as managing players, the owner is responsible for drafting in a mentor as well as two wild cards from the international poker scene.
In Season 2, the Rajat Sharma emerged as the top ranked player, while Goan Nuts took the title from Season 1 champions, the Delhi Panthers.
With the organizers aiming to make Season 3 the best yet, qualifiers are now underway on Adda52. As the largest Indian online poker site, Adda52 is well placed to generate the maximum amount of interest in event.
In line with that, 72 satellites will take place over the coming weeks. Players are permitted to take part in a maximum of 18 qualifiers and the top 90 will be put forward for selection.
From there, a variety of local and international pros will be added to the mix.
Legitimizing Poker in India
The wider aim of the Poker Sports League is to legitimize the game in India. With certain regions still classing poker as a form of gambling, all efforts are being made to demonstrate that it’s a game of skill.
By devising a scoring system and recruiting players from a variety of backgrounds, the goal is to prove that winning is about more than luck.
For Indian poker players, that’s resulted in a major event with even more prize money than ever before.
Moreover, it’s another chance to solidify the game’s reputation in what’s arguably the world’s fastest growing poker market.
Top Ten Poker Products
- Poker chip set housed in a silver aluminum case
- Includes 500 11.5-gram Claytec striped dice poker chips
- 150 white and 100 blue chips; 150 red chips; 50 green and 50 black chips
- Da Vinci Imports
- ONE KIT, SO MANY OPTIONS: You don't need a casino to achieve the thrill of a high stakes poker or blackjack game. With the Rally and Roar poker accessories set, this all-inclusive...
- WHAT YOU RECEIVE: Our poker playing supplies include 500 chips (11.5g), 2 full decks of cards, 1 dealer chip, large and small blind chips, 5 resin dice (19mm), and an aluminum travel...
- SUPERIOR CRAFTSMANSHIP: The gambling sets exude high-quality, professional-grade build. From the protective, aluminum shell of the case to the durable, detailed chips, our complete game...
- Includes 200 dual-toned poker chips
- One deck of poker cards plus dealer chips
- Housed in a beautiful and sturdy aluminum case
- 100pcs of plastic counters/mini poker chips/Game tokens with storage box
- Diameter: 1 inch (25mm)
- Great for Sorting, Colors, Matching and more!
- 11.5 gram chips
- Dice Striped chip design
- One roll of 50 chips
- Chips are heavy 14 gram clay composite with denominations as shown
- Attractive chip design with a golden laser ring around the chips
- Due to high quality material the chips stack up nicely without slipping